|The story of the P.S.G. Family is a saga of initiative enterprise and enlightened imagination rooted soundly in far-sighted benevolence. Their benefactions to the cause of industry and education stand out perhaps as the greatest single private contribution to the advancement of technological and liberal learning in this part of the country for over a period of more than three decades. It can be claimed with all humility that no private family has dedicated itself to the needs of the nation in this area and has served so consistently and thoroughly as the P.S.G. Family. The family has contributed to a remarkable degree to the cause of Industry and Education at all levels.
The Origin of the family could be traced to its forbear Sri Venkatarama Naidu who belonged to the family of 'Periya Veedu' (The big House) related to the 'Mailati Gothra' of the 'Kankallar' group belonging to the Ubbayathi Kammavar Community of Naidus. Sri Venkatarama Naidu had four sons by name Tharmakartha Muthu Naidu, Linga Naidu, Sama Naidu and Rangaswamy Naidu. It is from the third son, Sri Sama Naidu that the P.S.G. Family has directly descended. The 'P' in the famous triplet 'P.S.G'. refers to the name of the house, and the 'S' in it to Sri Sama Naidu.
The latter married Smt. Ranganayaki Ammal belonging to the 'Neerkondar vamsam' at Pappanaickenpalayam. They had four sons by name, Sri P.S.Narayanasamy Naidu, Sri P.S. Govindasamy Naidu, Sri P.S.Krishnasamy Naidu and Sri P.S.Kondasamy Naidu. The second son has contributed the third letter in the triplet 'P.S.G', for it is the direct descendants of Sri Govindasamy Naidu who are the architects of the charities that have immortalized this name .
Sri Govindasamy Naidu married the grand daughter of Kasthuri Naidu belonging to the 'Edu Utla Gothra' at Manaikaranpalayam, and daughter of Sri Krishnamma Naidu, by name Manguthayammal. They had four sons and one daughter.
The four sons were
Sri P.S.G. Venkatasamy Naidu,
Sri P.S.G. Rangaswamy Naidu,
Sri P.S.G. Ganga Naidu,
Sri P.S.G. Narayanasamy Naidu,
|who became the Founder Trustees of the P.S.G. & SONS CHARITIES.
Sri Govindasamy Naidu, was a man of modest means. His family inherited about six acres of cultivable lands and about eight acres of dry lands from the paternal side and some property from the maternal side. The family took to trading in cotton and tobacco which grew from their soil, as the means for their livelihood. Very soon Sri Govindasamy made a name for himself by his integrity and his shrewd business acumen and commercial insight. His four sons truly stood by him and helped him to co-ordinate the purchases of raw cotton made at Udumalpet, Chennimalai, Tiruppur, Dharapuram and Annur with the sales to the textile mills then in Coimbatore.
Fortune began to smile on their indefatigable industry. The family began to acquire landed property in which they installed engines and power driven pumps which supplied water from deep wells for irrigating the lands. They had meanwhile started a ginning factory.
Sri Govindasamy Naidu had known the vicissitudes of life; he had tasted the joys and sorrows of trade; he had gained unique insight into the meaning and purpose of life. All these prompted him to think of others also. The golden rule of "Do unto others as you would that they should do unto you" often revolved in his mind. He often used to express these thoughts to his sons and impress on them the need ' to pay the rent to Him that made us for our sojourn on this majestic earth that had prospered at His touch.' He had indicated in unmistakable terms that it was his wish that a part of what had accumulated should be devoted to charity. But he did not live to see his dreams realized. In 1918 he died in his sixty-fourth year.
The Four Sons
Sri P.S.G. Venkatasamy Naidu
The eldest son, Sri P.S.G. Venkatasamy Naidu, looked after the purchase of raw materials from distant markets on shandy days.
The trust deed was registered on the 25th of January 1926 and was presented in the office of the Registrar of coimbatore between the hours of 1 and 2 p.m. by Sri P.S.G.Venkatasamy Naidu and the execution was admitted by the four brothers, whose names are entered in the Deed as Sons of kangallar P.S.G. Govindaswami Naidu, Mill Owners and Ryots, Peelamedu, hamlet of Soeripalayam. If today the face of this hamlet is completely changed and if Peelamedu has become a veritable Temple of Learning, all of it is due to the Deed that was registered on that auspicious day.
Sri P.S.G. Rangaswamy Naidu was entrusted with the task of being the treasure of the family and of protecting and fostering the industrial units gradually taking shape under his able administration.
Sri P.S.G. Rangasamy Naidu even during his early days had shown considerable interest in machines. He had the firm conviction that Indians should achieve self-sufficiently in the manufacture of engines and machinery. The genesis of this programme synchronized with the starting of a Temple of Learning in June 1924.
Sri P.S.G. Rangasamy Naidu had then shouldered the responsibility of running a High School in Peelamedu. Though he was interested in liberal education he was more anxious to promote technological education and training. A workshop as he visualized should, not only manufacture new and improved types but also train up skilled mechanics. This concept of workshop to serve as a technological institution and training center had its roots. To realize the importance of technological education and to conceive of imparting it in such a distant past, three decades ago, when we were under foreign yoke, the P.S.G. family should have been deeply imbued with patriotism for national prosperity in Industry and Technology.
Sri P.S.G. Ganga naidu supervised the cultivation of the lands and the ginning factory. In the year 1918, the slump that followed in the wake of the first Great World War which crippled the finances of very many big businessmen in India, also affected the P.S.G. Family. The family was no doubt shaken; but it stood the storm and soon regained its financial stability.
During this time several cotton mills were beginning to make their appearance in and around Coimbatore. They were mainly sponsored and controlled by the English. The future of the textile industry in Coimbatore had always made an
|appeal to the P.S.G. family and among them, Sri P.S.G. Ganga Naidu was persistent in pressing on the family the need for starting a mill of their own at any cost. At last his indefatigable energy and enthusiasm made the family yield and the Sri Ranga Vilas Ginning and Spinning Mills was started in the year 1922, with the family's investment of 2 lakhs and a share capital of 20 lakhs of rupees. This was an important landmark in the textile industry of the South and this can claim to be the first textile mill in Peelamedu and fourth in Coimbatore. |
Sri P.S.G. Narayanasamy Naidu
The last son, Sri P.S.G. Narayanasamy Naidu assisted his brothers in their agricultural work. He was getting more and more interested in the activities of the local Panchayat Board in recognition of which he was duly elected Chairman. Even that-day many bear testimony to his abiding interest in bettering the amenities of the Panchayat. Over twenty years passed before doyen of the family adorned the floors of the Loksabha as its accredited member.
The management is not content to rest on its oars. It has great plans for the future. Some of the plans pertain to the upgrading of the Arts College to enable it to offer post-graduate courses leading to the M.A. Degree in some specialized subjects. The day is not far off when the school of social work would emerge as a research department may be instituted to encourage dialogue between humanities, pure sciences and applied sciences so that these projects may lead to an integrated curriculum in the University of the Future.
Industrial research of applied nature, research work with reference to development work in engineering and technology, etc. are sponsored and engineering graduates, (post graduate students) are given ample opportunities in the laboratories to participate under faculty's supervision in research at the frontiers of their respective fields. Better and greater co-ordination and co-operation is envisaged so that facilities in the workshops of the Industrial Institute are made available very easily to produce newly designed equipment and machinery and thus to experiment the outcome of such researches and to accomplish and produce them. A few of the recent success in such activities are: The Variable Speed Motor designed in the Electrical laboratory and manufactured in the workshop, all of them probably the first of their kind in India. These achievements may be claimed by the Institute as some of the many that are to come yet. They should be considered as a happy augury for such future triumphs
in the laboratories of the College. Such educational and technical programmes seem to break new ground.
Philanthropy of the P.S.G. Family is like the quest of Ulysses for new realms and like him they tend to say
|"yet all experience is an arch wherethro' Gleams that untravell'd world, whose margin fades for ever and for ever when I move."|